“The good news to a hungry person is bread.”
We have many neighbors who are hungry in our larger community. We believe that the good news to those who are hungry comes through a warm meal and Christ-like hospitality. Join us at Heaven’s Kitchen the 4th Saturday of every month from 10 am – 2 pm as we share a meal with the people of Brooklyn, MD.
Heaven’s Kitchen is a meal ministry of SPUMC which operates in partnership with Brooklyn Community United Methodist Church. We love and feed all who come through the doors with a sit down meal served family style. There is no age requirement for volunteers but minors must be accompanied by an adult. If you are interested in volunteering email Katherine.
5 Ways You Can Serve at Heaven’s Kitchen:
- Show Up – 25 volunteers are needed on the 4th Saturday of each month. Meet at SPUMC at 9:30 am or at Brooklyn Community UMC (map) at 10 am. We set up and cook from 10 am – 12 pm (email Katherine to let us know you are coming).
- Bake – Help us provide sweet treats for each meal. Bake your favorite dessert, pack them in individual Ziploc bags and drop them off at the church office before the 4th Saturday.
- Decorate – Provide or make table decorations based on the season. This is a great way to use your inner artist or get children involved.
- Nurses – Help take blood pressures for our guests.
- Donate – Heaven’s Kitchen has on ongoing need for good quality seasonal items such as blankets and sleeping bags, new socks and underwear, toilet paper, toiletries and devotional books. All non-perishable donations can be brought to Heaven’s Kitchen or dropped off in the “Go Out In Faith” corner in the SPUMC Fellowship Hall.
- Pray – for those who are homeless and live on the margins of society that we can not only meet some of their physical needs but that we can also feed their souls.