Living Well on Wilkens
The folks at Living Well on Wilkens believe what Jesus taught: that God loves us all, especially those living most on the margins and edges. Living Well is a faith-based non-profit supported by SPUMC which walks alongside women caught in prostitution, addiction and homelessness in Southwest Baltimore. Our goal is to offer women the hope of Christ, support them in transforming their lives and help them to get off of Wilkens Ave in Baltimore. To get connected, visit livingwellonwilkens.org or contact Cathie Wildes our program manager.
The ministry operates under a three pronged approach:
- Help women care for their immediate physical needs by providing Christ-like hospitality through hot showers, laundry facilities, and pre-prepared meals out of our day resource center on Wilkens Ave.
- Form meaningful relationships based on trust and mutual respect. In doing so we believe that we can create a community that helps the women on Wilkens to envision a way of living that is more fully whole and hope-filled.
- Provide support, resources, and connections to hand-off partners for women needing detox, rehab, and housing to get off of Wilkens Ave.
Here’s how you can be in ministry with us:
- Volunteer to help staff the House during open hours: Monday-Friday 11 am-2 pm. Volunteer training is provided and volunteers work alongside the program manager. Volunteers assist with tasks such as:
- Preparing meals for guests
- Assisting the program manager with organizing supplies
- Welcoming guests
- Teach – sign up to be a mentor, GED Tutor, or teach a small Bible Study.
- Counsel – We need licensed counselors to lead one-time small group counseling sessions on issues like grief and anger.
- Design communications materials
- Give financially to the mission by donating to SPUMC or directly to Living Well on Wilkens, Inc.
- Draft and/or edit grant applications.
- Donate tangible materials:
- Walmart gift cards for house supplies (groceries, cleaning supplies, etc.)
- Women’s underwear (size small and medium)
- Toilet Paper
- Bathroom cleaner
- Laundry detergent
- Backpacks (new or gently used)
- Medical supplies for basic wound care: gauze, medical tape, bandages, ace bandages, peroxide and Neosporin