Grounded: An Unlikely Path to New Life
Lent is a season that invites us to return to God, to strip down our lives, to get earthy and elemental in our faith. Our deep longing is to live lives that are solid, rooted in love, grounded in God. Journey with us week by week as we explore our guiding scriptures through the arts, study, song, preaching, sacraments, and worship.
In your Lent Kit, you will find a color copy of the “Wilderness” devotional from A Sanctified Art, with poetry, art, journaling, and written reflections. Didn’t get one? Come by the church porch anytime, and get a Lent Kit.
Rooted Reflection: Daily Prayer and Inspiration
Join us for a few minutes of Rooted Reflection each day throughout Lent, as we pray and seek grounding in the word of God. Watch the video devotionals.
If you would like the Rooted Reflection texted to your phone, text “Rooted” to 410.983.3507.
Lent Workshops & Studies
Grounded in Art: Creative Workshop Series
Led by guest artists – Mondays at 7:30pm
Attend 1 or all of the workshops in our new Grounded in Art workshop series. Each workshop will be held on Mondays at 7:30pm, and will help us connect more deeply with the themes of the Lenten season. Our very own Rev. Ron will be sharing his gifts of photography, and April Doss will be leading us through an interactive workshop on creative writing. We are especially thrilled to welcome guest artist, Rev. Martina Efodzi, who will lead a 2-part painting workshop entitled “This is My Story, This is My Song!” based on Matthew 4:1-11. If you would like to pick up a supply kit for Rev. Efodzi’s painting workshops, make sure to check “Yes!” on the form when you sign up online.
Monday, February 22 & March 1, 7:30pm
with Rev. Ron Foster
Monday, March 8 & March 15, 7:30pm
Painting & Story
with Rev. Martina Efodzi
Monday, March 22, 7:30pm
with April Doss
Sign up here to receive emails about these workshops, or simply show up, using the Zoom information available on our Events page.
Walking with God in the Wilderness
Taught by Rev. Lee – Wednesdays at 7:30pm
We come hungry to the season of Lent — hungry for words of life, rituals of preparation, disciplines to help us on our way. Rev. Lee will be leading a study of Walking in the Wilderness by UMC Deacon Beth Richardson on Wednesday nights on Zoom starting February 24, 7:30pm. The study will include daily meditations that feature a quote, scripture, and commentary. Each day’s readings will invite you to pause and connect with God in these challenging times.
Purchase your book online or stop by the church porch anytime to pick up a book and pay with cash/check (leave it in the drop box in a labeled envelope).
Led by Rev. Ron – Tuesdays at 7:30pm
- Sacred Worth, February 16 and March 16
- Faith & Race, February 23 and March 23
Lent for Families
Visit the Lent for Families page on our website for a ton of resources, plus any links to sign up for online events.
In order to comply with copyright restrictions, you’ll need the password to access the resources. Password: Lent
For kids with early bedtimes, we held a 30-minute interactive Zoom session on Ash Wednesday at 6:30pm. Thanks to all who participated!
40 Days of Giving
Our Front Porch is a warm and welcoming space where we can serve our community during the Lenten season. After getting extensive use during Advent as a place for our Angel Tree and our SPAN grocery collection, we are putting it back in use for similar hands-on community support during Lent! Beginning February 17 through Palm Sunday on March 28, the following giving opportunities will be available on our Front Porch:
- SPAN – 40 Days of Giving! Please grab a SPAN grocery bag from the Front Porch and fill it with food, toiletries, or paper goods. Please return it to the Front Porch or drop it off at SPAN (400 Benfield Road). Let’s help those who are struggling to have enough food and basic necessities.
- Reach Out and Serve, LLC will be facilitating the collection of Masks and Hand Sanitizer plus $20 gift cards to Giant for low income families; masks and hand Sanitizer can be dropped off in the designated plastic bin on the porch.
- Arundel House of Hope – We will collect $10 gift cards to McDonald’s & Burger King for our Winter Relief community.
- Clothing Ministry – Please donate Walmart gift cards (any amount) which will be used to shop for Arundel House of Hope clients who are homeless or are in transition to housing.
- Heaven’s Kitchen – Please donate $20 gift cards to Giant for our Heaven’s Kitchen clients
For all gift card donations, there will be plastic bins with labeled envelopes on the porch for each ministry participating. Please pick up an envelope, place gift cards inside, and drop off in the secure lock box found on the right side of the porch.
Thank you for your continued generosity in serving those in need of help in our own community!